On Mon, Aug 15, 2016 at 8:14 AM, Johan S. H. Rosenkilde
<santaph...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Regarding this whole @experimental discussion (I never heard of
>> @experimental until just now), it seems like yet another case of
>> trying to use some awkward mechanism to get around ignorance of Python
>> packaging and modules.      Python has this amazing thing called
>> "Python libraries" and a "packaging system" (pip) that makes it
>> possible to write and share code with other people.    People should
>> check it out...
>
> On the thread
> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/sage-devel/LXWs6KOw0Lk, William
> Stein wrote:
> ---
> I think this is a really good idea.  I'm surprised we didn't
> explicitly think about it when deciding on our deprecation policy in
> the first place.
>
> I'm definitely for there being a way to include code in Sage that is
> very explicitly marked as unstable for which the usual deprecation
> policy doesn't apply.   (I'm against such code not having 100% doctest
> coverage.)
> ---
>
> Following the very positive response Thierry's suggestion got, the
> @experimental decorator was created.
>
> Please don't be condescending while contradicting yourself.

That thread doesn't mention @experimental or decorators explicitly.

For what it is worth, I was trying to be **sarcastic** above, not
condescending.  It's originally my fault sage is such a monolith
instead of divided into meaningful modules.

I stand by my statement that you quoted that it should be possible to
include code that unstable.  I'm not sure that this @experimental
decorator is the way to go.  It would be more standard to have an
explicit library import, which  -- on import -- would print out
something about it being experimental and unstable.  (This is not so
unusual in the world of software.)

William