On Monday, October 10, 2016 at 9:09:38 PM UTC+1, François wrote:

> On 11/10/16 01:58, Victor Shoup wrote:
> > Another issue. I'm not sure if $(MAKE) is specific to gnu make or if it
> is universal.
> > In general, I don't want to assume gnu. But I can certainly make this
> the default,
> > and provide a config variable to override.
>
> I'll have another go at this when you use
> $(MAKE) inside a makefile you are making sure
> that the make command used is the same one that
> you called on the initial makefile.
>
> As other people mentioned it enable parallel make
> to proceed nicely, and in the case where there is
> several make command installed on the system
> you avoid funny things happening. I have AIX
> system which comes with its own posix make
> command. Something like ntl probably require
> gmake (GNU make), calling AIX make in the
> middle is not a good idea.

Perhaps the most natural solution would be to change NTL build system so
that
it uses the standard autotools chain (autoconf/automake etc), not only
libtool.
Given that it uses very few external libraries, it ought to be an easy task.

Given that I am perhaps the only person in this thread who learned to
program using punch cards,
I am a dinosaur from an earlier period, yet, I look into the future :-)

Dima

Francois