On Saturday, December 3, 2016 at 10:34:50 PM UTC, Paul Masson wrote:

> On Saturday, December 3, 2016 at 2:30:36 PM UTC-8, William wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Dec 3, 2016 at 2:28 PM, Paul Masson <paulm...@comcast.net>
>> wrote:
>> > There's apparently no good way in general to test whether the scene is
>> > unchanged. This is a known issue:
>> >
>> > https://github.com/mrdoob/three.js/issues/7670
>> >
>> > One of the comments on this thread offers another option: only render
>> the
>> > scene upon user interaction. I'm so accustomed to writing Three.js to
>> be
>> > ready for animation that I didn't think about this. If we restrict
>> Three.js
>> > usage in Sage to static scenes then CPU usage drops to nothing.

to me this screams of wrong design, don't know whether it's in three.js or
just in js...
Indeed, the renderer can be awaken by user interaction,
as you say. Why can't it be awaken by an animation function?!
How come rotating picture by hand is different from, say, rotating a part
of it by
a function?

>> > I'm happy to make this change, but this means no animations in the
>> scenes
>> > for now.
>>
>> What kind of animations are currently implemented?
>> I can only think of spin=[number].
>>
>>  -- William
>>

> None right now, but the changes necessary to get rendering to work without
> an animation loop don't play nicely with requestAnimationFrame.

IMHO the default should be not to eat CPU cycles needlessly, even if it
means having two different implementations.
Thanks goodness running several show() commands in different browser
(Chromium 55 - I compile
browsers from source these days :-)) tabs only seems to invoke one instance
of the CPU-cycle eater, not one per each tab...