Okay, I fixed it.  Someone had uploaded some invalid keys and the
regeneration of authorized_keys was failing.  I confirmed, after
removing the invalid keys, that authorized_keys was regenerated and
includes Maxie's keys.

Sorry for the trouble.

When I get back I'll have to see how the unsupported key got added.