Hi,

On 12/01/2017 00:09, Volker Braun wrote:
There is a somewhat painless approach to generating human-readable
release notes using https://github.com/hawkowl/towncrier. As far as the
ticket author is concerned, if you think that your ticket #12435 is of
wider interest and should be announced then all you'd have to do is add
a file

echo "Added the last twin prime" > newsfragments/12435.feature

Note that the fragment filename starts with the ticket number, so it
won't conflict with other news fragments. Then, when making a new
release, I concatenate the fragments into NEWS.rst as, for example,
in https://github.com/hawkowl/towncrier/blob/master/NEWS.rst

I have to point out that this isn't auto-generated since a specific command has to be entered.

I also notice that towncrier has pretty rough single-level structuring (feature, bugfix, doc, removal, misc), which might be a bit limitative for a large project like sagemath.

Wouldn't some directive like "If you think ticket #314159 is of wider interest, all you have to do is to fill in the Changes-7.6.rst file" make it possible to both drop this new tool and allow a richer structure? Said Changes-<version>.rst could start as a copy from a Changes-template.rst with a prepared structured, which the release manager would prune at the last moment to remove empty sections.

Snark on #sagemath