On 12/01/2017 09:54, Kwankyu Lee wrote:
    Wouldn't some directive like "If you think ticket #314159 is of wider
    interest, all you have to do is to fill in the Changes-7.6.rst file"
    make it possible to both drop this new tool and allow a richer
    structure? Said Changes-<version>.rst could start as a copy from a
    Changes-template.rst with a prepared structured, which the release
    manager would prune at the last moment to remove empty sections.

I guess the idea is to have one "news fragment" file for one merged
ticket instead of a single file that contains all news.

And my point is that this tool doesn't bring anything substantial : if you have to get out of your way to add something to the news, then at least do so for something nice and complete. In my opinion the categories provided by towncrier make it a tiny convenience for a small project and uninteresting for a large project.

Now, if towncrier made it possible to name the fragment files something like 314159.features.algebraic-geometry.elliptic-curves and generated a more structured changelog from that, that would be more convincing. [Using a dictionary somewhere to turn the various filename chunks into something human-readable and falling back to changing '-' to space and capitalizing the first word, say].

Snark on #sagemath