On Tue, Feb 28, 2017 at 2:41 PM, John H Palmieri <jhpalmier...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday, February 28, 2017 at 1:16:53 PM UTC-8, Jeroen Demeyer wrote:
>>
>> On 2017-02-28 20:46, Johan S. H. Rosenkilde wrote:
>> > In that case, it
>> > could be seen as an implementation detail that objects have the _pari
>> > method, and private would be apt.
>>
>> Yes, it's an "implementation detail" but it's not "private".
>>
>> I would say it's a public implementation detail: something that users
>> shouldn't need to know but something that package developers should know
>> and can rely on. A private name like "_pari" would imply that we can
>> remove/change it at will, which is not applicable in this case.
>>
>> I think this is exactly like Python's special methods such as __init__:
>> as a user, you would normally not call these but they are very important
>> when developing a class.
>

> What about _latex_? Would you plan to change that, too? Sage objects and
> elements have lots of single-underscore methods, like _repr_, _mul_, etc.
> The use of _pari_ could be seen as in line with all of these, so I'm not
> sure why that choice has been rejected so quickly.

The subject of this thread is "Names of special methods like _pari_",
so I suspect Jeroen wants to change *everything*.

Jeroen says:
> It's just a simple search-and-replace-all, so essentially no work.

I'm not convinced, because you'll potentially break code people have
written that is not included in the Sage library.       For that
reason, I'm -1 to changing _pari_ in a backwards incompatible way.

 -- William

William (http://wstein.org)