What about _latex_? Would you plan to change that, too? Sage objects and
elements have lots of single-underscore methods, like _repr_, _mul_, etc.

Well, I would put _latex_ in the same basket as _pari_.
But _repr_ and _mul_ are different: they deal with the implementation of SageObject/Element so this is *not* about those methods.

I'm not convinced, because you'll potentially break code people have
written that is not included in the Sage library.       For that
reason, I'm -1 to changing _pari_ in a backwards incompatible way.

We could always keep supporting _pari_ with deprecation, so that's not really an issue.