Hi Jeroen,

On 2017-03-01, Jeroen Demeyer <jdeme...@cage.ugent.be> wrote:
>> What about _latex_? Would you plan to change that, too? Sage objects and
>> elements have lots of single-underscore methods, like _repr_, _mul_, etc.
>
> Well, I would put _latex_ in the same basket as _pari_.
> But _repr_ and _mul_ are different: they deal with the implementation of
> SageObject/Element so this is *not* about those methods.

I don't think they are that much different in spirit. In all cases,
the single underscore methods are for implementing functionality
in a Sage-specific way, instead of overriding a Python method: A
magical one (.__repr__()) in the case of _repr_, a "visible" one (.pari())
in the case of _pari_, similar _latex_ etc.

I think that's a very clear and easy-to-recall scheme, and therefore
I don't see the point of changing _foo_ into to_foo for foo in ["pari",
"latex", "gap"].

Cheers,
Simon