TL;DR: should we drop support for old-style .spkg packages completely in Sage?

Old-style packages are a relic from the old Sage development model from Sage versions < 6.0. They are packages containing the sources and metadata in one .spkg archive. New-style packages, with metadata in the main Sage git tree, were introduced in Sage 6.0, released in december 2013. You can find a list of existing old-style packages at http://www-ftp.lip6.fr/pub/math/sagemath/spkg/optional/

We already had some discussion about dropping support of old-style packages in 2015, see https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/19004 and https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/19158 both merged in Sage 6.9, released October 2015.

The latter ticket also introduced a deprecation warning for old-style packages:
You are about to download and install an old-style package. While this
might still work fine, old-style packages are unmaintained and deprecated.

This package will be removed in future versions of SageMath. If you care
about this package, you should make a proper new-style package instead.
For more information about making Sage packages, see
http://doc.sagemath.org/html/en/developer/packaging.html

The reason I ask to drop support for old-style packages is to simplify and improve the installation of new-style Sage packages. In particular ticket https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/23179 conflicts with old-style packages.