On Mon, Oct 16, 2017 at 11:07 AM Jeroen Demeyer <jdeme...@cage.ugent.be>
wrote:

> On 2017-10-16 12:08, Emmanuel Charpentier wrote:
> >     |_| Yes, we should fully support OpenSSL now, and clarify the
> >     licensing issue.
>
> What does "clarifying" the licensing issue even mean? The fact that
> OpenSSL is *in the process of* relicensing does not help us at the
> moment. And you don't need a mailing list vote to change the Sage
> license: you need approval from every author of every GPL package in Sage.

To me, "clarify the license situations means":

1. At a mimum:  make it crytstal clear in our LICENSE/README file and
binaries download page that we are distribution OpenSSL (or at least
something that depends on OpenSSL), and that -- depending on
interpretations of the system license exception -- this may violate the
GPL.  I think making this situation *clear* is absolutely essential, rather
than say just "sneaking" openssl into Sage.

2. Also: explain that the risk is minimal, since it is the intention of the
OpenSSL authors to relicense, and several of us significant copyright
holders (e.g., me) can at least make a clear statement that **WE** are not
going to complain or sue anybody for combining Sage with OpenSSL.

Until OpenSSL is properly relicensed there is a small but real risk of some
problem arising from this copyright situation.    That has to be balanced
with the very real risk that shipping a crippled security stack directly
results in users of Sage having their computers and personal information
compromised.

A legally safer approach would be to never include openssl in sage, but
instead make a system-wide install of openssl a hard requirement for
building or installing sage.  We then still link to openssl.   The build
fails if it libopenssl-dev (or whatever) is not available.  A binary
install doesn't work (in some cases?) if it isn't available.    Maybe this
should be a third option for the vote?   It seems like what Eric wanted...

William

-- William Stein