Dear Kim,

As mentioned on the ticket, this big-endian incompatibility does not
prevent the inclusion of primecount as an "experimental package" that I
still aim to achieve (the type of the package "experimental", "optional"
or "standard" is simply a flag). In practice "experimental" means "not
officially supported" and "less tested".

And as Dima mentioned, it would be simpler for SageMath to have
primecount supporting big-endian. We certainly do not want that a single
library prevents using SageMath on big-endian architecture.

Now, three questions for Sage developers:

- Who is testing a big-endian architecture?

- Are all optional packages big-endian compatible?

- Is it reasonable to ask for big-endian compatibility for
  optional packages?

Vincent

PS: to discuss these kind of issues related to development, it is better
to use the other google group sage-devel.