> On 15/03/2018, at 11:56, Dima Pasechnik <dimp...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Wednesday, March 14, 2018 at 8:05:05 PM UTC, François Bissey wrote:
> I haven’t done on a build on that hardware (power7) in some time. One of my
> limitation
> is that I cannot install a more modern linux on those without breaking my
> access to the GPFS file system. I have a beefy gentoo prefix on there though,
> so I can technically test sage-on-gentoo on top.
>
> I wonder whether you're running your power7 in little-endian mode there.
> Naturally it would be more interesting to see whether a big-endian setup
> works.

big-endian, moving to little endian would mean getting some updates for
the thin layer hypervisor that sits on top of the hardware and that
would means paying some support money I don’t have.

While power always could technically be setup in any endianness, the
support for little endian has only been forthcoming from IBM with
the arrival of power8. Way after we bought the hardware.

François