On Wednesday, March 14, 2018 at 6:42:33 AM UTC, vdelecroix wrote:

> As mentioned on the ticket, this big-endian incompatibility does not
> prevent the inclusion of primecount as an "experimental package" that I
> still aim to achieve (the type of the package "experimental", "optional"
> or "standard" is simply a flag). In practice "experimental" means "not
> officially supported" and "less tested".
>
> And as Dima mentioned, it would be simpler for SageMath to have
> primecount supporting big-endian. We certainly do not want that a single
> library prevents using SageMath on big-endian architecture.
>
> Now, three questions for Sage developers:
>
> - Who is testing a big-endian architecture?
>
> - Are all optional packages big-endian compatible?
>
> - Is it reasonable to ask for big-endian compatibility for
>    optional packages?

The current status of big-endian Sage is that it sort of works on SPARC
Solaris 11 (thanks to Jeroen and your humble servant),
but more work is needed. I  underestimated how much effort it would be,
when I started this back in January. :-)
Interesting (and not so interesting) upstream bugs emerged in many
packages...

see https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/24596

The machine is a VM (Solaris "zone") hosted at Warwick University, and we
would be able to run a patchbot there,
once the port iis in reasonable shape.

I understand that there are other big-endian architectures out there
capable of running Sage.
(they are often able to do both big- and little-endian, though)

Dima