I recall discussions about this quite a few years ago, and the consensus
was to be careful what you wish for.  Too many typos would then
mysteriously become variables.  So (even though I certainly think it is a
very useful facility in many case) the potential for confusion was pretty
great.  I think a nice use case of it is at the top of a worksheet prepared
by an instructor who is not a 100% novice.

By the way, there was a similar method (perhaps the same one) that allowed
methods to be functions, e.g. you could do foo(x) instead of x.foo() for
simplicity.

Anyway, certainly it should (in principle) be *implemented* for any Sage
interface, including Jupyter.  I just don't know about it becoming the
default.

- kcrisman