On Thu, Mar 15, 2018 at 7:43 AM, Emmanuel Charpentier
<emanuel.charpent...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...] However, most CASes now available do away without this mandatory
> declaration.

And hence Sage should have automatic_names as a non-default *option*.
See the mission statement, which is to create a viable alternative to
Maple, Mathematica, etc.

I wrote automatic_names (using catching of NameError or whatever)
originally. I don't remember why I put it in sagenb only, instead of
Sage. I regret not just putting it in Sage, since it's been on the
todo list to add this to CoCalc forever, and it seems annoying to even
have to add it again.  That it is missing in CoCalc Sage worksheets
(and Jupyter) does
result in a periodic stream of complaints from users.

I don't remember, but automatic_names can (or should) print a message
when it automatically creates a new symbolic variable -- this helps
deal with some people's concerns...

--
William (http://wstein.org)