On Fri, Sep 21, 2018 at 4:29 PM Nils Bruin <nbr...@sfu.ca> wrote:

> On Friday, September 21, 2018 at 1:46:47 AM UTC-7, Erik Bray wrote:
>>
>> There is a cool module in sage called sage.misc.explain_pickle, which
>> is useful for helping to understand and debug how non-trivial objects
>> in Sage are pickled and unpickled.
>>
> I am adding another testimonial  on the usefulness of the routine. On several
> occasions I was in a pickle (sorry for the pun), which could be solved
> immediately by explain_pickle. it was a big time-saver that it was available
> *right there*, because I wasn't looking forward to having to hunt down a
> third party package that may or may not help me. I also think that with
> multiprocessing, serialization remains very important to support for
> (hopefully) all data structures in sage. That means that whenever a new
> structure pops up, errors and debugging will be inevitable. The problems in
> serialization are often triggered by non-local interactions, so I would not
> expect that problems with serialization in sage will become rarer (in fact, I
> expect them to become more complex due to more intricate interactions).
>
> I would be a little sad to see explain_pickle go.

Per my reply to Jeroen, what if it were still "there" in
sage.misc.explain_pickle, but the meat of it were moved out to a
separate module (which could still be included in
sage-the-distribution, as at least an optional package if not a
standard package)?

My reasoning here is not so much that it isn't useful (which I think
it clearly is), but rather that it's a pretty general tool that
deserves to live outside Sage.  And it's also in need of maintenance,
which eventually will make it a blocker for Sage, which is not so good
given that it can clearly exist outside of Sage itself.