Didn’t we have that conversation a couple of months ago?
The message here comes from this section of code in sage-env

# New value for SAGE_ROOT: either SAGE_ROOT (if given)
# or a guessed value based on pwd.
if [ -n "$SAGE_ROOT" ]; then
    NEW_SAGE_ROOT="$SAGE_ROOT"
elif [ -f sage -a -d build ]; then
    NEW_SAGE_ROOT="."
elif [ -f ../../sage -a -d ../../build ]; then
    NEW_SAGE_ROOT="../.."
else
    # No idea what SAGE_ROOT should be...
    echo >&2 "Error: You must set the SAGE_ROOT environment variable or run
this"
    echo >&2 "script from the SAGE_ROOT or SAGE_ROOT/local/bin/ directory."
    return 1
fi

There is some more code in there to make you trip. Touching sage-env could
solve your problem.
Another interesting file you could try to seed with the value of SAGE_ROOT is
/etc/environment

François