On Mon, 5 Nov 2018, Enrique Artal wrote:

For me it works adding "env": { "SAGE_ROOT": "where_SAGE_ROOT_is" } in
kernel.json

Thanks, seems to be much better solution.

Now, what is the best practise for upgrading Sage? Jupyterhub makes it easy to have several kernels installed, but there is no real "big" and "small" releases of SageMath. Hence it makes no sense to have "Sage 8.x -serie" and "Sage 9.x -serie" in parallel. Can we have something like "Sage" having newest as default, and explicit versions available for advanced users?

With SageNB I have just installed new version. If something brokes for some user, then it brokes -- there are deprecation warnings that hopefully helps.

--
Jori Mäntysalo