On Thursday, January 10, 2019 at 6:47:33 AM UTC-6, vdelecroix wrote:

> Le 10/01/2019 à 04:47, Nathan Dunfield a écrit :
> >
> > P.S. In the Debian package "sage" does not accept the "-pip" flag, even
> > though installing the "sagemath" package does pull in "pip" (tested on a
> > clear Sid Docker container).  Why is this?  I ask because our current
> > instructions for installing SnapPy into SageMath use "sage -pip".
>
> The sage script in Debian is indeed a restricted version of the
> original sage script (to avoid messing up with the system). You
> can just use the pip from the system. That works fine if you
> source the environment variables first:
>
> $ source /usr/share/sagemath/bin/sage-env
> $ pip install surface_dynamics --user

Yes, snappy installs fine with the system pip (even without sourcing
sage-env), though as you know from writing the flatsurf docs, this
distinction rather complicates the installation instructions.

Our issue reports have actually come from people who installed SnapPy in
their system Python with pip only to have it crash when starting the
SnapPy app because they had also previously installed Sage via their
package manager.  In other words, our "installing SnapPy in Linux (no
Sage)" instructions will fail if user has previously installed Sage in a
particular way.

Nathan