On Tue, Jan 22, 2019 at 10:32 PM Jeroen Demeyer <j.deme...@ugent.be> wrote:

> On 2019-01-23 00:11, William Stein wrote:
> > I helped support somebody using the Cygwin
> > version of Sage on Windows at the Sage booth at the Joint Math
> > Meetings last week, and it typically took about 1 minute to start up
> > Sage, which was scary.
>
> But mathematical computations (which do not involve syscalls) shouldn't
> be slower, right?

When doing support for this user, actually running code seemed fine
after the 1 minute (?) startup time.
Unfortunately, she was mainly asking about how to use init.sage.
(Incidentally, there was numerous
questions from Sage users, where the answer is: ~/.sage/init.sage.
Evidently it is difficult to learn
about ~/.sage/init.sage for some reason.  Maybe it should be documented more.)

I haven't done benchmarks of cygwin+sage in a decade.  My totally
outdated experience, which I am probably
misremembering, was that mathematical computations that do not involve
syscalls could
easily be much slower on Cygwin that under VirtualBox + Linux on exactly the
same hardware (even though both code was compiled using GCC).   This
is no surprise to me,
since memory management is different between the two, and when I last
benchmarked Cygwin was 32-bit only, whereas VirtualBox + Linux was 64-bit, which
could significantly impact performance.    How memory is cached and managed can
impact performance of CPU bound code a lot, and the algorithms differ
between Linux, Windows, and OS X.     I also remember being similarly
frustrated that
native Sage on OS X was often slower for things I cared about than
VirtualBox + Linux + Sage
on OS X; but maybe security (which involves memory address randomization)
is higher priority than speed for OS X, for good reason.

 -- William