On Wed, Jan 23, 2019 at 3:36 AM E. Madison Bray <erik.m.b...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > If I had to run Sage on Windows for some reason today, I would use
> > Docker or VirtualBox.    I helped support somebody using the Cygwin
> > version of Sage on Windows at the Sage booth at the Joint Math
> > Meetings last week, and it typically took about 1 minute to start up
> > Sage, which was scary.  She also was 100% convinced that copy/paste in
> > the Sage terminal (really cygwin) didn't work, which would make using
> > Sage very painful indeed.   It turned out that copy/paste does work if
> > you use the context menu.
>
> I wish you had asked me about this or brought it up with me before
> spreading unfounded FUD based on one experience.  I really don't
> appreciate it--it sets a bad example when the creator of Sage says
> "don't use the Windows port of Sage", and is pretty insulting frankly.

What I wrote above was that in my one experience last week helping somebody
with Cygwin Sage.  These two statements are just an observation I had while
helping somebody.

> So these are engineering challenges, but solvable ones, not reasons to
> say "don't use X".

I didn't write "don't use X".  I wrote "I would use Docker or
VirtualBox", and to clarify I literally
meant that "*I* would use..." (I wish I had put I in bold).   This is
true, and was
frustrated with using Cygwin,
so it was a fair suggestion.  Also, the original poster was
contemplating porting Sage
to windows, so they are probably extremely technically competent.

> The stuff about copy/paste is just nonsense. [...]

For me, the best measure for usability is listening to users.

Anyways, if you have the chance, I would encourage you to run a booth
somewhere and help
random people use Sage on Windows all day for a few days.  Or to try
to create some sort
of support community around sage on windows (e.g., a big link right
when it starts up
to a discourse forum or something).  I would guess that right now the
canonical support
forum for sage on windows might be
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/sage-windows,
but it has only two posts in the last two years?   In any case, for me
at least, if I'm not
seeing or answering  support questions regularly from actual users, it
can be hard to know
what is really nonsense.

I'm sorry again to have deeply insulted you and appreciate the
enormous contributions you've
made to Sage, and I'll avoid posting about cygwin publicly after that
without consulting
with you first.

 -- William