On Tue, Jan 22, 2019 at 2:34 PM deSitter <antimatter3...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I am interested in creating a native Windows port completely independent of
> the ugh-worthy Cygwin. Does such a project exist?

Not anymore.  I came the closest to writing one, but still didn't
really get close (this was a long time ago -- back when Microsoft way
paying REvolution to port R to Windows).  It's very difficult, because
numerous Sage dependencies have never been properly ported to Windows.
  If I were to try today, I would start by trying to refactor Sage
itself into a sage-core, with minimal dependencies, and other
libraries that depend on sage-core.  Once that is done [1], then I
would worry about porting only sage-core to Windows, as a standard
Python library that is Anaconda installable (I would leverage Anaconda
as much as possible [2]).   With that done, I would turn to whatever
major modules (e.g., sage-combinat, sage-nt, sage-algebra, etc.) are
of most interest, and try to port them one-by-one to Windows.  Some
would not be possible due to dependencies, and others would be easy.
  In any case, I never succeeded at a proper port, nor did anybody
else, so don't take my advise regarding Windows too seriously.

If I had to run Sage on Windows for some reason today, I would use
Docker or VirtualBox.    I helped support somebody using the Cygwin
version of Sage on Windows at the Sage booth at the Joint Math
Meetings last week, and it typically took about 1 minute to start up
Sage, which was scary.  She also was 100% convinced that copy/paste in
the Sage terminal (really cygwin) didn't work, which would make using
Sage very painful indeed.   It turned out that copy/paste does work if
you use the context menu.

 -- William

[1] I realize that maybe Sage is such a complicated Python library at
this point (million lines of code), with so many outstanding "needs
review" tickets on trac (always over 200!) that such a refactor would
be brutally difficult for any single human being, and very invasive to
Sage development.  It's probably totally unrealistic.

[2] When I was trying hard to do the Windows port of Sage in 2007 (?),
I was very, very frustrated because the Anaconda (or whatever it was
called) was all a closed source product of Enthought, and we couldn't
use it for our Sage port.   I pointed this out during my invited Scipy
talk, and it made the people who invited me pretty angry at me.  In
any case, Anaconda has since been very generously made open source.  I
would make step 0 of porting sage to windows be to fully understand
and appreciate what Anaconda on Windows is currently, and very likely
build on that.  The build system for something complicated like Sage
on windows is really important, and the current Sage build system
doesn't make sense to use natively with Windows.

William (http://wstein.org)