> well, building gcc 7 with a 7-years old complier (gcc version 4.4.7
> 20120313 (Red Hat 4.4.7-23), as the log says)
> probably not possible.
> Do they have something newer installed?

They did install for me both gcc-7.2.0 (didn't work) and gcc-7.3.0 (didn't
work either).

Let me emphasize again that their setup (with the old gcc 4.x.x) let me
compile a fresh sage-8.6 without any trouble, only when trying sage-8.7,
the error occurs. Doesn't that suggest that the issue is not the old
compiler?

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sage-devel/d41ea0d0-d463-4d93-8895-7a4a17802716%40googlegroups.com.