assembly errors - means either broken toolchain (old `as` picked up ?), or
a failure to detect the correct architecture...

I guess sysadmins of this system see such errors every day, given how messy
that setup is.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sage-devel/CAAWYfq1QRMkZ3aj233HEQx8CJKLx61sRY9L7UA%3DOb_qATmLh3Q%40mail.gmail.com.