Could somebody please review the following ticket:
https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/27721

It has been stalled for weeks now for no good reason other than, I presume,
lack of availability for someone to review it.

I would really like this ticket to be resolved and merged before making an
8.8 release because it's a regression that was introduced earlier in the
8.8 development.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sage-release/CAOTD34b42oUtX6XAbuP-TPhuXrnm0_OvbWZ9AG54cUSF237rKA%40mail.gmail.com.