This ticket has also been languishing for no particular reason:
https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/27724

It was previously looked upon favorably: It is a patch to GAP that has
already been accepted upstream by the GAP developers.  For a time it
was only held up for me to update the patch to the exact version
accepted upstream which I did a week ago.  By all rights it could have
been included in the first release candidate; just no one got around
to giving it a positive review explicitly.

I would have prodded people to do so immediately if I had known that a
"release candidate" would be created a day after but how could I have?

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sage-release/CAOTD34aCeAKTQm_a_c_ZpWCck4nHJM9_Eeid%3DtHVSs64YJYWtg%40mail.gmail.com.