> I find the warning messages that appear at the top of the notebook saying
> that JsMath isn't available annoying.

If you look carefully, it says the jsMath TeX fonts aren't found, not
that jsMath isn't found (in fact, it is jsMath that issuing the
message, so clearly that was found).

> I find it especially annoying when I try to print something - I get a big red
> box at the top of my output saying:
>
> To print higher resolution math symbols, click the
> Hi_Res Fonts for Printing button on thejsMathcontrol panel.

If you would install the jsMath TeX fonts, that would go away.

> What control panel?

The small jsMath button at the bottom right of the screen links to the
control panel.  Also, the initial jsMath font warning page that you
get when you first view the notebook has two buttons on it:  one to
hide the message and one to open the jsMath control panel.  If you
don't like to see the message, you can push the hide button and it
will go away (no more work than if you were receive an alert
message).  If you don't know how to get the jsMath control panel, you
can get it from that message.  You can also get it by ALT-clicking on
any typeset mathematics.

> If you have to issue a warning, it should be on the 'print' window, before you
> commit to paper. Having seen the message, if you go ahead, it should not
> appear on the paper!

If sage constructs a special version of the page for printing purposes
(I don't use sage myself, so I'm unfamiliar with its workings), then
it would be possible for that page to load the higher-resolution fonts
automatically (via the insertion of a line similar to the one William
listed for turning off the main font warning).  Otherwise, if you are
just printing the page out of the browser, there is no way to jsMath
to know if you are planning to print such a page, and so it  puts it
in the only place that makes sense, the printed version, which will be
showing the poor quality output and where it is likely to do you some
good.  Putting it on every page you view would be considered by some
users as "annoying".

The jsMath panel allows you to control the printing of these messages,
so the user has the option of turning them off himself.  You can also
configure jsMath not to display the print warnings in a similar
fashion to William's message about the main font warnings.  You can
also change the CSS styles for the message to make them less
obtrusive, or replace the content of the message by your own wording.
Finally, you can override jsMath's function for issuing the message
and so make it appear anywhere or in any form you want.  These
possibilities are documented at

    http://www.math.union.edu/locate/jsMath/authors/warnings.html

so the sage project could set up the messages in a different way if it
wants to.

Davide