On Aug 21, 10:58 am, Mike Witt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> This is an attempt to ask my previous question more clearly :-)
>
> I'm looking for a work-around for the situation where I would normally
> call parametric_plot (or plot, for that matter) with a function, and in
> some particular case that function turns out to evaluate to a constant.
>
> For example:
>
> sage: def f(a,b): return e^(a+b*I)
> ....:
> sage: parametric_plot([real(f(x,0)),imag(f(x,0))], -pi, pi)
>
>   Gives a page full of errors, which I interpret to mean that there
>   was a problem plotting because imag(f(x,0)) evaluates to a constant.

Here's one way to do what you want: on a symbolic value V, you can use
V.function(x) to make sure Sage treats it as a one-argument function
(even if V is a constant).

So the following three commands all work:

sage: parametric_plot([real(f(x,0)).function(x),imag(f(x,
0)).function(x)], -pi, pi)

sage: parametric_plot([real(f(x,1)).function(x),imag(f(x,
1)).function(x)], -pi, pi)

sage:
parametric_plot([real(f(x,-1)).function(x),imag(f(x,-1)).function(x)],
-pi, pi)

Carl