On 08/21/2008 06:55:48 PM, Joel B. Mohler wrote:

> On Thursday 21 August 2008 01:58:23 pm Mike Witt wrote:
> > I'm looking for a work-around for the situation where I would normally
> > call parametric_plot (or plot, for that matter) with a function, and in
> > some particular case that function turns out to evaluate to a constant.
> >
> > For example:
> >
> > sage: def f(a,b): return e^(a+b*I)
> > ....:
> > sage: parametric_plot([real(f(x,1)),imag(f(x,1))], -pi, pi)
> >
> >   Works as expected
> >
> > sage: parametric_plot([real(f(x,-1)),imag(f(x,-1))], -pi, pi)
> >
> >   Works as expected
> >
> > sage: parametric_plot([real(f(x,0)),imag(f(x,0))], -pi, pi)
> >
> >   Gives a page full of errors, which I interpret to mean that there
> >   was a problem plotting because imag(f(x,0)) evaluates to a constant.
> >
> > I believe that this is the same issue described in:
> >
> > http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/2410
>
> I'm the person that entered the trac ticket and the point of that trac ticket
> is precisely the (mis-)functionality you are describing.   I'm truly
> mystified by the other responses in this thread.  To me, this is an obvious
> bug...
>
> --
> Joel

Thanks Joel. I was beginning to wonder if I was nuts. Just to summarize what
I've found out so far. The work-arounds suggested by David Joyner, Mike Hansen,
and Carl Witty all work under certain assumptions, but none of the three
provides a completely general fix as far as I can see. Using a combination of
the techniques I am able to do what I want. But I am for whatever it's worth
I'd certainly like to add my vote that tickets #2409 and #2410 should get
attention. This issue with parametric_plot is certainly *very* confusing
to a newcomer.

-Mike