On Nov 10, 7:15 pm, cesarnda <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> that is the output I was expecting, but it is not the input I gave.
> Obviously,
> 1/x - 1/(x+1) = 1/(x*(x+1))
>
> but, if the right hand side can be done why the left hand side can't?
> This is the bug I was talking about...

Thanks for pointing it out. If you can file a bug report in the
Maxima bug tracker (http://sourceforge.net/projects/maxima/bugs
or something like that) or post a message to the mailing list,
that would be helpful.

It turns out that nusum (the Gosper algorithm written by Gosper
himself iirc) can solve this problem, but I guess nusum is not
consulted by simplify_sum before the latter gives up.
I didn't look into it carefully.

best

Robert Dodier