On Thu, 13 Nov 2008 04:09:56 -0600
Jason Grout <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Burcin Erocal wrote:
>

> > Returning to the question of how Sage plans to handle this, the
> > short answer is "I am working on it." :)
> >

> Yeah!
>

> > We will have a completely new implementation of summation,
> > independent of the one in Maxima. At the moment I have an
> > implementation of the theoretical framework which lets you solve
> > much more complicated sums than the ones above. Unfortunately,
> > coming up with an interface that spares the user from the gory
> > details of the theory will still be a challenge. Thus, it will be
> > some time before these problems are handled natively in Sage, but
> > then Sage will (hopefully) be more capable than the others out
> > there.
>

> Is there any chance you could make this work available so people
> could experiment with it, test it, and if desired, give suggestions
> for an interface?  On the other hand, I understand if the work is
> still at a "I need to work on this alone" stage.

In this case, there is a huge gap between theory and the user. It
is not like giving the ratio of the consecutive terms of your
summand as an argument to Gosper's algorithm. Unless you want to get
into research in this area, the code is useless for now.

Nevertheless, I will start implementing a simple user interface,
which I hope will help me handle more complex expressions as
well. After I have the basic framework to construct the algebraic
objects I work with, given the symbolic expressions, I will start
submitting patches.

Cheers,

Burcin