On Nov 23, 2008, at 1:01 AM, William Stein wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 22, 2008 at 9:34 PM, Tim Lahey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>>
>> As a fellow Maple user, I highly recommend that you look at the new
>> symbolics in Sage, pynac. While support is still incomplete, it has
>> capabilities more similar to Maple than the Maxima-based symbolics.
>> It also tends to be much faster than the Maxima symbolics too.
>>

> I'm glad you're excited by this, since I put a lot of work into it
> (with Burcin) :-). Anyway, to try it out, just pass the ns=True option
> to the var command. E.g.,
>
> sage: var('x,y',ns=True)
> (x, y)
> sage: expand((x+sin(y)*x)^3)
> 3*sin(y)*x^3 + 3*sin(y)^2*x^3 + sin(y)^3*x^3 + x^3
>
> And this is a lot faster than the old ones:
>
> sage: time f = expand((x+sin(y)/sqrt(x))^500)
> CPU times: user 0.04 s, sys: 0.01 s, total: 0.04 s
> Wall time: 0.04 s
>
> sage: var('x,y',ns=False)  # old symbolics
> (x, y)
> sage: time f = expand((x+sin(y)/sqrt(x))^500)
> CPU times: user 0.58 s, sys: 0.12 s, total: 0.69 s
> Wall time: 1.22 s
>
> Note that many things still are implemented with these symbolic
> variables though -- it's
> just that they are faster, and have a new design (e.g., pattern
> matching rules).

I've been trying out them since you posted the pynac-0.1 spkg and
refrained
from upgrading until 3.2 since I couldn't get that package to work
with the
newer builds. I'm definitely excited about the possibility that I
might be
able to finally move over to Sage for regular use. Although, it's my
understanding that integration is still using Maxima?

Thanks,

Tim.

---
Tim Lahey
PhD Candidate, Systems Design Engineering
University of Waterloo