On Nov 23, 2008, at 1:41 AM, William Stein wrote:

> Ginac (on which Pynac is based) doesn't have any nontrivial symbolic
> integration.     So that's going to continue to depend on Maxima until
> we:
>
>    * write our own
>    * switch to using sympy for integration (sympy does some
> integration)
>    * use code from giac, which does some integration
>    * Axiom?
>
> I would definitely like to improve the ability of the integrate
> command to use say Maple or Mathematica to optionally compute
> integrals.  Then people like you (in this thread) who do have Maple or
> Mathematica laying around could still use it for that without having
> to explicitly mess with the Sage Maple/Mathematica interfaces.

The main things that stop me are commands to manipulate expressions,
especially integrals. Most of my work involves a lot of calculus
and differential equations. I often apply commands directly to
integrands and I like Maple's ability to break apart expressions
and integrals to operate on individual terms. Based upon earlier
discussions I think Burcin has plans in that direction.

As for the option to use Maple/Mathematica, I think as long as there
is relatively good conversion of expressions, it's best to just let
the user call the Maple/Mathematica command directly. Otherwise, you
need to write code to detect if one is installed and call it with
a fallback plan if they're not.

It's my understanding that Axiom is best in breed for integration, so
it may be best to use that.

Cheers,

Tim.

---
Tim Lahey
PhD Candidate, Systems Design Engineering
University of Waterloo