On Dec 16, 10:44 am, Robert Bradshaw <rober...@math.washington.edu>
wrote:
> On Dec 16, 2008, at 7:47 AM, mabshoff wrote:

<SNIP>

> >     sage: import sage.libs.libecm
> >     sage: from sage.libs.libecm import ecmfactor
> >     sage: result = ecmfactor(999, 0.00)
> >     sage: result in [(True, 27), (True, 37), (True, 999)]
> >     True
> >     sage: result = ecmfactor(999, 0.00, verbose=True)
> >     Performing one curve with B1=0
> >     Found factor in step 1: ...
> >     sage: result in [(True, 27), (True, 37), (True, 999)]
> >     True
>
> Is there any reason we're still shipping the old interface?

It is certainly somewhat obscure since not even William knew about it.
The more efficient interface is certainly the library interface, but I
am not sure how well that one copes with multiple instances running at
the same time.

It is also often much easier to extend a tty interface, but I am not
sure this applies here.

One thing about this library interface is that it works well as an
example since it is simple and maybe two screens of code.

> - Robert

Cheers,

Michael