On Feb 16, 7:23 pm, kcrisman <kcris...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Maybe they contain the revision history?   That could make them big.
>
> Was just downloading one now and basically it just does
> cd
> into the appropriate directory and then
> tar -jcf "name_of_file_downloaded" "number_of_that_worksheet"
> which means it is bzipping EVERYTHING, including all the snapshots and
> images (including ones in deleted cells, see #5177) into one
> gargantuan mess.
>
> This seems inefficient.  Does anyone have any ideas about what a
> better solution could be?  I assume that some people (maybe not me)
> want to keep various large computed objects (pickles? is that what
> they're called) in their worksheets, so just having a text version
> might not work.  (Though to be honest that should be an option too, if
> it isn't already.)  But might there be ways to trim the fat from these
> files for worksheets, like 95% of mine, that really don't need a
> million snapshots etc.?

We should not take snapshots if nothing has changed or alternatively
delete snapshots that are identical. I thought I had made a ticket for
that, but I guess I was mistaken. So I did open a critical ticket
against 3.3 in hope this will be sorted out in the next 24 hours since
this is rather critical IMHO: #5291

> I would be willing to at least attempt to implement any ideas on this
> which lie within my admittedly tiny scripting talents.
>
> - kcrisman

Cheers,

Michael