On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 10:45 AM, Evan Fuller <fuller.e...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have issue with both the idea and implementation of password-less
> access.  I don't understand how it works well, but it seems a lot like
> keeping your password in an unencrypted file--if someone got access to
> my computer for a short time (e.g. via some uncaught spyware) and
> copied the public key, they could access my files anytime until I
> realized it and changed the key.

That is absolutely correct.  However, even if you *don't* use
password-less access, somebody who gets access to your computer "for a
short time (e.g. via some uncaught spyware)" could also easily run a
key logger and steal all passwords you type when connecting to remote
computers.

>  However, if this is the way to do
> things, I'll take that risk.  Is there a more user-friendly (Windows)
> guide to this?  I've been trying to set up the keys both manually on
> the server and with the built-in function on SSH Secure Shell Client
> 3.2.9.  When I create the keys manually on the server, change
> permissions, then transfer them to my computer, I get the error
> "failed to read your public key...".  On the other hand, when I use
> the client to create the keys and upload to the server, it says
> everything is working properly, but then fails to actually authorize
> to connect and still prompts for password.  I've tried variations
> (using .ssh or .ssh2, subdirectories) to no avail. The server OS is
> SunOS 5.8.

You should only ever create keys on the client -- keys are not needed
on the server.    SunOS 5.8 is pretty old and to get passwordless
login to work, especially with old ssh servers, it's critically
important that the ssh versions match up, that both support common
protocols, and that all permissions
are right for the files on the server (i.e., the ssh directory is only
readable by you, etc.) This is usually very easy if the server is a
recent linux, OS X or Sun OS, but 5.8 is pretty old, and it can be
very frustrating.

Unfortunately we'll probably never support Sage on SunOS 5.8, or you
could just run sage there and window it back.

I can now see very much how for you having an interactive password for
the server= option in sage would be very nice.  I may look into
implementing this again today -- it might be very easy.

 - - william

--
William Stein
Associate Professor of Mathematics