Evan Fuller wrote:
> I'd like to be able to have SAGE use the copy of mathematica on my
> department server, which requires SSH with password.  Looking at
> setting up something password-less.  I'm hoping there has been an
> improvement on this in the 18 months since those posts.  Can anyone
> help me out?  I'm using the latest version binary (3.2.3) on Windows,
> in case that's relevant.

I might add to this discussion that you do need to be careful about the
license agreement for Mathematica.  We inquired at Wolfram a while ago
about some of the terms of the Mathematica license, and they mentioned
one use-case that was prohibited (at least then):  if it is a site
license, and you are using a computer that is not covered on the site
license, then using mathematica over ssh is prohibited. You can see the
the details at:
http://groups.google.com/group/sage-devel/browse_thread/thread/5d93024ffaf3ff3e/d8ce61f16c4e0baf

  The response from Wolfram we received to our inquiry included this remark:

* With a site license, accessing Mathematica functionality remotely is
permitted so long as the originating computer is eligible to have
Mathematica installed under the same site license.

Now, I am not a lawyer, and this was a while ago (so things might have
changed), but there you go anyway.

This message isn't to scare you, and it's not to claim that these
restrictions would hold up in court either.  I'm just pointing out that
there are webs of legal things that should be considered.  Webs that
thankfully don't apply much to Sage!  I love not having to worry if I'm
breaking something some legal thing by just using Sage in some way that
works for me.  As far as I understand, basically the only legal
requirements you need to remember with Sage are things that you have to
do if you change Sage and then redistribute the new product (i.e., you
have to also make the source code available).  As long as I'm using Sage
personally, none of those requirements apply, and I can use and change
Sage however I want.

Jason