To the best of my knowledge, the new symbolic (are you referring to
pynac?) should just be considered as the core of symbolic, and the
utilities functions should be continue to exist on top of SAGE (or any
other package actually used, like maxima).

Unfortunately, it seems that the inverse laplace function from maxima
is not the very best, see:
http://www.math.utexas.edu/pipermail/maxima/2007/008424.html
http://www.math.utexas.edu/pipermail/maxima/2006/000036.html

Is there any sort of representation of piecewise functions in SAGE?
What about delta function (heaviside) or unit step? These are basics
for implementing inverse laplace in my opinion.

Maxima already has delta() function, and signum() function (that can
be good to represent the unit step, I don't know if it's already built-
in maxima function), can we take advantage of that?
http://www.math.utexas.edu/pipermail/maxima/2006/003249.html

There has been a short discussion about that here:
http://groups.google.com/group/sage-devel/browse_frm/thread/7f33e7001e480d47/4f46fff6a387becc?lnk=gst&q=maxima+delta#4f46fff6a387becc

I know I can seem pretty boring, but I really think that SAGE has a
great potential, and I would like to enhance its engineering power! As
it is right now, it still lacks something from that point of view. For
example (I know, I always go off-topic), has a good units of
measurement manager ever been included? Also about that you had a long
discussion, but I don't know the results:
http://groups.google.com/group/sage-devel/browse_frm/thread/8791448b7a303ce9/9dc4cc27e6d4eafb?lnk=gst&q=units#9dc4cc27e6d4eafb

Please, forgive me again for being so annoying

Maurizio