> On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 6:04 AM, kcrisman <kcris...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Is there something internal to find_root that does this, or should
> > there be different syntax?  find_root? says a symbolic equality is ok
> > for input, and nothing about deprecation.  It would indeed be tedious
> > to have to define a polynomial ring just to do this computation.
>
> Currently in my tree with pynac being the default for symbolic
> expressions, this isn't an issue.  So, it should be fixed in 4.0 which
> is planned for May 15th.  Depending how much time I have, I may make a
> patch for 3.4.2.

Thanks.  Hmm, but just using var('x',ns=1) didn't fix the problem for
me - it found this problem:
sage/numerical/optimize.pyc in find_root(f, a, b, xtol, rtol, maxiter,
full_output)
     58     if a > b:
     59         a, b = b, a
---> 60     left = f(a)
But certainly don't bother with a patch unless find_root all of a
sudden no longer will work under pynac. I did still get the correct
answer, after all!

- kcrisman