2009/6/12 paramaniac <luka...@student.ethz.ch>:

> After 9 hours of hard work, my brave PowerBook G4 800MHz 1GB managed
> to compile Sage 4.0.1 :-) The result can be found here:
> http://n.ethz.ch/student/lukasre/download/
> The process was much easier than I thought. Interestingly, Sage became
> much bigger (1.5GB) and 680MB compressed.

I think it is about time to do a serious audit of the Sage
distribution and figure out precisely why it has got so large.    I'm
puzzled though by the "680MB compressed", since the binaries here are
much smaller than that:

http://sagemath.org/bin/apple_osx/intel/index.html

Did you use "sage -bdist 4.0.1-OSX10.4-PowerPC" to make the binary?
If not, then you've made one that would be too big.

William

> Now I have a question for the next release of Sage:
> Are there any specific "export" commands to optimize the build for a
> ppc7450 machine?

No -- Sage should automatically optimize for whatever machine you build on.

--
William Stein
Associate Professor of Mathematics