> I think it is about time to do a serious audit of the Sage
> distribution and figure out precisely why it has got so large.    I'm
> puzzled though by the "680MB compressed", since the binaries here are
> much smaller than that:
>
> http://sagemath.org/bin/apple_osx/intel/index.html
>
> Did you use "sage -bdist 4.0.1-OSX10.4-PowerPC" to make the binary?
> If not, then you've made one that would be too big.

Well, I downloaded the source code
http://www.sagemath.org/src/sage-4.0.1.tar
and typed "make". Afterwards, I created the .dmg file with Disk
Utility command File>New>Create Image from Folder. There's only one
compression grade. XCode version is 2.5 on Mac OS X 10.4.11 (my
machine is too old for OS X 10.5).
Hope this helps.

Regards,
Lukas