I am in the writing of a program that deals with rather lengthy
symbolic expressions involving unknown functions and differentiation.
When running commands like derivatives, it seems that maxima
automatically runs into place to simplify the obtained expressions.
(This is consistent with the documentation)

In  interactive sessions, this is perfectly good, but for my
application, it has two major problems :
- things are slowed down a lot because maxima tries to simplify long
expressions which cannot be much simplified
- worse : maxima often crashes which renders the whole program
difficult to use

My solution would be to disable maxima automated simplification but I
cannot figure out if this is possible in sage or how to do it (I am
using sage.4.0.1 on Fedora 10)

Thanks

Nicolas