On Jun 24, 2009, at 10:05 AM, William Stein wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 6:47 PM,
> Nicolas<nicolas.fresseng...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Sorry, I thought this was clear.
>>
>> when you type
>> sage: a=x+x+1
>> sage: a
>> 2*x + 1
>>
>> If I understood correctly, the simplification of x+x by 2*x is
>> done by
>> maxima in the background.
>
> Just to be clear, that is definitely *NOT* the case.   It used to be
> the case before sage-4.0, but is not the case now.   Here's how you
> can check this:
>
> teragon:~ wstein$ sage
> | Sage Version 4.0.2, Release Date: 2009-06-18                       |
> | Type notebook() for the GUI, and license() for information.        |
> sage: x + x + 1
> 2*x + 1
> sage:
> Exiting SAGE (CPU time 0m0.08s, Wall time 0m23.29s).

Pynac does perform some simplifications automatically, e.g. the x+x -
 > 2*x. You can read about it here http://www.ginac.de/tutorial/
Automatic-evaluation.html . These are nearly impossible to avoid (I
tried to do so for a while when working on powering) but shouldn't
ever do anything expensive.

As for simplifying an integral, I'm not sure if it's simplified
internally by maxima as part of the integration process, or when the
result is printed. Have you tried assigning the result to a
variable?  That would determine if we can do something about it.

- Robert