Sorry, I thought this was clear.

when you type
sage: a=x+x+1
sage: a
2*x + 1

If I understood correctly, the simplification of x+x by 2*x is done by
maxima in the background.
I f x is here much more complicated (or if the expression itself is
complicated), the simplification process can become lengthy and even
crash maxima. So my question was : is this possible that when I ask a
in the second line above, that the answer would be x+x+1

Sorry for the trouble

Nicolas