Robert Dodier wrote:
> Mani chandra wrote:
>

>> def select_mode(func,l,m,n):
>>     val = (func*exp(-I*(l*x + m*y +
>> n*z))).integrate(x,0,2*pi).integrate(y,0,2*pi).integrate(z,0,2*pi)
>>     return val/(8*pi**3)
>>

> I guess l, m, and n are some integers between -2 and 2.
> What is func? (I see the definition for it in the code but I'm
> too lazy to try to compute it myself.)
>
> Does the computation succeed with some simpler version of func?
> As a wild guess in the absence of information, it is possible that
> intermediate results in the integration are very large expressions.
>
> Robert Dodier

Hi,
    I forgot to add hardware info. The program is using nowhere close to
the 4 GB limit on my computer. I'm using Archlinux x86_64, kernel
2.6.30. I also tried it on another machine which has 1 GB of ram (which
also is not being used fully) and which has Archlinux x86_64, kernel
2.6.28 .

    Yes, the computation of the "select_mode" function does indeed
succeed for simple expressions. But if you run the code, you will notice
that it works for some modes which probably have more complicated
expressions than the ones for which it breaks. Also the modes for which
it breaks seems to vary on different machines.

Mani chandra