William Stein wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 2:26 AM, Juan Jose
> Garcia-Ripoll<juanjose.garciarip...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 10:57 AM, William Stein<wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Note that Sage's Maxima uses ECL.  So the basic question is, how can
>>> we increase the memory that Maxima + ECL can use?
>>>
>> The limits ECL has are by default too small for big applications, but
>> it is intentionally done so. However, changing them is pretty easy:
>> add a call to ext:set-limit in any file of maxima that forms part of
>> the final executable.
>>
>> The different memory limits that can be independently controlled are listed
>> here
>>     http://ecls.sourceforge.net/new-manual/re34.html
>> So for instance, in your case, which hits the dynamically allocated
>> memory limit, you might add the following
>>     (ext:set-limit 'ext:heap-size (* 1024 1024 1024))
>> to maxima/src/ecl-port.lisp in order get 1GB memory limit.
>>
>> Juanjo
>>

> Thanks!!!  I've made this trac #6772:
>
> http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/6772
>
>  -- William

Hi,

    I'm glad that this issue has finally been taken up. But as an interm
measure, how does one pass this command through a sage code? I tried
maxima.eval_String, but it doesn't seem to work.

 In an unrelated note, I rewrote my code trying to use a standalone
installation of sympy and it takes forever to compute what maxima in
sage did in a few mins, so I guess sympy is nowhere close to "industrial
strength".

Mani chandra