Mani chandra wrote:

>     I've attached the value of a particular func where it fails. But
> this varies though. Also I restarted the code, making sure I evaluate
> only the problematic part and it works. So, it must be an internal
> memory limit for Maxima. Is there any way of increasing this?

Memory limits are set by the underlying Lisp implementation.
I assume you have Maxima + ECL >= 9.2.1.
If so you can adjust the heap size (in bytes) by executing in Maxima:

:lisp (ext:set-limit 'ext:heap-size nnnnnnnnn)

You can get the default limit by :lisp (ext:get-limit 'ext:heap-size)
It's probably something relatively small like 256 M.

> sin(2*x)*cos(2*y)*cos(2*z) - (-I*u_x0*e^(-I*x - I*y - I*z) - I*u_x1*e^(-I*x -
> I*y) +

I guess I is the imaginary unit, right? Are u_x0, u_x1, and other u_x
terms
constants, or expressions containing x?

There are a couple of things you can try to make this more digestible.
(1) expand(foo) (where foo = expression you gave) to get a sum of
simpler terms
(2) map(integrate, bar) (where bar = expand(foo)) to integrate term by
term. Not sure if that's really necessary.

My advice is to try these heuristics in addition to increasing the
heap size.

Can I ask what is the purpose of solving this problem?
I am always interested to hear what people are working on.

HTH

Robert Dodier