Dear Sage supporters,

sorry, I did not find a better title for this thread.

It is about the following. If one has a cochain of degree 8, one could
say (shorter) "8-cochain". John Palmieri pointed out to me that it
should be "an 8-cochain", not "a 8-cochain", a fact I wasn't aware of.

Can someone tell me the rule in what cases one uses "a" and in what
cases "an"? E.g., one has "an" if (and only if?) the next word starts
with a,e,i.

And is there a function (or at least an easy algorithm that I can
implement myself) that for a given integer n answers the question
whether it is "an %d-cochain"%n or "a %d-cochain"%n ?

Best regards,
Simon