Hi Simon,

On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 9:09 PM, Simon King<simon.k...@nuigalway.ie> wrote:

<SNIP>

> Can someone tell me the rule in what cases one uses "a" and in what
> cases "an"? E.g., one has "an" if (and only if?) the next word starts
> with a,e,i.

Usually "an" comes before a word that starts with a vowel, i.e a, e,
i, o, u. So one would say "an eight o'clock meeting" or "an 8 o'clock
meeting". More examples: an amphibian, an egg, an igloo, an octopus,
an umbrella. However, there are situations when this rule doesn't
apply. In software engineering, one uses UML diagrams as part of the
design process. Although this acronym starts with a capital "u", it's
pronounced and written as "a UML diagram" not "an UML diagram", just
as in "a ewe" not "an ewe".

> And is there a function (or at least an easy algorithm that I can
> implement myself) that for a given integer n answers the question
> whether it is "an %d-cochain"%n or "a %d-cochain"%n ?

Any number that is spelt with a vowel, e.g.

an eight-cochain
an eleven-cochain
an eighteen-cochain

and you can safely put "a" before a number whose spelling begins with
a consonant. However, depends on where you are, people do say "an
hundred-cochain" with a silent "h", even though at least in Australia
it's "a hundred-cochain" where the letter "h" is not silent in
pronunciation.

--
Regards
Minh Van Nguyen